Frequent Contributor
PetCareRX-Susie

They all need homes. Breeding vs Adopting.

It's the never ending question, should I go to a breeder for a pet or to the local pet store on "Adopt a Pet Day".

You want a pet, but you want to do the right thing. 

The right thing for you may be to adopt that pet, but it may also be a certain breed you have in mind.  Something you know will be perfect with your family.

Take a look at this article on PetCareRx and let us know what you think. 

What's your opinion?  To Breed or Not To Breed, that is the Question.

~Susie

PetCareRx Community Manager
Pet Parent to 3 dogs, Belle, Beau and Eli Manning (yup, Eli Manning) And my African Grey parrot, Abby.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
GoldenGracie

Re: They all need homes. Breeding vs Adopting.

I currently share my life with Gracie, a nearly 11 year old Golden Retriever, a 1 1/2 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi named Rosie, and a 5month old Golden pup named Patsy. Over the years we have both adopted, rescued and purchased our pets. 

Having grown up with primarily small dogs, I was introduced to Golden Retrievers by a friend who owned a wonderful girl named Simba. He decided to breed her and as a thank you for helping with the process, he gave me a puppy. I had 5 years with my sweet & funny Emma, but I lost her to liver cancer when she was not yet 5. While I still had a Scotty/Jack Russel mix that I had rescued, I keenly missed Emma's congenial disposition and policy of malice towards none. A local pennysaver led me to a litter of Goldens, and I came home with Gracie.

Friends of my husband whelped a litter of Corgis, and they wooed him with Rosie, the last of the litter. Opposed to sharing my attention with another dog, I was eventually worn down. Rosie is a delightful and a fabulous friend to our aging Grace.

It  will be a dark day when Gracie leaves me, so last winter I decided to look into getting another Golden. I found a wonderful breeder with nearly 40 years of experience, submitted an application to reserve a pup and brought Patsy home in May. She is a smart, beautiful athlete full of the humor I've come to love in Golden Retrievers, and a great addition to our "pack".

The number of unwanted pets in shelters is a staggering statistic, and the public awareness of the need to rescue these animals has risen dramatically over the years. I applaud the many organizations who tirelessly work to place abandoned and unwanted animals.

While waiting for Patsy's arrival, I was asked where I was getting my new puppy. When I said a breeder, I often felt like I had uttered a four-letter word.

Thankfully, the pendulum has swung in favor of adoption, and many pets will go to loving forever homes. Sure, we should rally against puppy mills that produce purely for profit. We could stand to cut back on the badmouthing of responsible breeders. We have a right to choose a particular animal and we do our own good work by supporting professionals who are dedicated to the health and preservation of their breed. 

We should feel great when we adopt a pet, but we shouldn't be looked down upon when we purchase a well-bred dog. 

Please use plain text.
Frequent Contributor
PetCareRX-Susie

Re: They all need homes. Breeding vs Adopting.

[ Edited ]

Hi Golden Gracie and welcome,

What a beautiful thought out post you have shared.

I agree with you, as I did purchase my first dog.  She is still with us, Belle, 15 and a half years old. 

The second Bichon Frise, we adopted from a family, that couldn't keep him, Beau.

The last dog, a wanna be yorkie, we rescued from a shelter. 

I had three children ages, 9, 7 and 5 years old.  16 years ago, most people did not rescue.  Especially those with young children.  They didn't' have the extensive fostering that goes on now.  No one to tell us that the dog was good with kids, or that they were OK with other dogs. 

I wanted a puppy with a good reputation with children.

We actually went to a near by shelter that day, they had 3 Pitbulls to adopt and a Husky. None of which they could guarantee to be gentle with kids.  Not because of their breed, but they just didn't' know enough about the dogs and where they came from.  We left and went to a near by animal store.

I agree with you, the shelters are overloaded, but I see a place for breeders as well.  Some families have specific dog needs, and I'm grateful that there are reputable breeders for such families.  For me, kids grown, I can take in all kinds of wanderers now.  And I do. :smileyhappy:

Thank you for sharing.  

~Susie

PetCareRx Community Manager
Pet Parent to 3 dogs, Belle, Beau and Eli Manning (yup, Eli Manning) And my African Grey parrot, Abby.
Please use plain text.